Hungary Update 6/26/09


It has been a very full couple of days for our team!!

Yesterday, after English camp, the students went swimming while our team took the opportunity to explore a little bit of the city...and some ice cream! What a beautiful place Szarvas is. While walking past the ice cream shop, we stumbled upon an incredible old brick church. We returned to the dorm for Hungarian Goulash and bed.

Today, instead of English camp, we broke up into teams with the students for a scavenger hunt throughout the city. I think it's pretty safe to say that there is not much of Szarvas that we have not seen!! It was a long walk. It took most teams a little over 3 hours to complete. It was a lot of fun. Most of the clues for the students were in English, and we were only able to help them in certain situations. This evening our team went to a local restaurant for supper. Of course the biggest challenge was ordering...but, the menu happened to be in Hungarian, French, and English! We all ahd great meals. After supper we returned to the ice cream shop for dessert. That was my dessert tonight...the picture at the top. It was incredible!

Funny story from the day: Just after leaving the ice cream shop, we were walking in front of the movie theatre. I was taking some pictures of the movie posters in Hungarian when I heard this very loud thud. When I looked up, all I saw was a big pigeon falling toward me...and he wasn't flapping his wings! He ended up landing on my shoulder and falling down my arm!! It scared the junk out of me!!! The girls filled with compassion for the bird as it gasped for air. In the end the contact with the window was too much, as we watched him take his last breaths. Unbelievable.

New pictures can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28007240@N08/?saved=1

Thanks for your continued prayers! I look forward to giving another update soon!